- Research and select a good printing company. Although you are self-publishing, you shouldn’t feel alone; a good printer will be there to guide you through the process. Many, including Gasch, will help provide customized service to the author community. Be sure to gather information about the printer you select, including all of the following:
- Do you have a customer service team in place to manage existing clients?
- Can your company make recommendations based on prior printing experiences?
- What type of support is available via phone?
- Accept that your book will be judged by its cover. The old adage is turned upside down when it comes to publishing your poetry book. You only have a few seconds to capture a potential reader’s attention, and the way to do this is to ensure your cover is not just appealing, but intriguing. Collect the opinions of friends and families on design options. Understand your target audience, what appeals to them, and how you will communicate this in your cover.
- Communicate with your printer. Be sure to practice this throughout the design process of your book so that all of your formatting is correct in terms of dpi, margins and sizes. Compress your files before sending them to your printer. You’ll want to be confident at the start of your project that your printer has an excellent support team who is knowledgeable in formatting, and specializes in working with the self-publishing community.
- Get creative with your budget. If you don’t have a friend or family member savvy in English and grammar, consider hiring a student from a local college to edit your work. They’ll likely be thankful for the opportunity to add the assignment to their resume, and you’ll benefit from the low cost. Win-win. A poetry book is an ideal project for full color book printing, and Gasch Printing specializes in full color digital book printing.
- Think about marketing. Often so much time and energy is put into the work and book printing process, that there is little thought devoted to how you will reach an audience. As a self-publisher, you also must be a self-promoter. Put a plan together as to how you will promote your finished product, via live readings, video blogs/podcasts, social media, or other means.
Gasch Printing is known in the industry for helping clients discover various marketing avenues. Short run book printing (print on demand) services are the perfect solution for authors who are on a budget, but would still like to see their finished product in print.