Using print ready PDF (Portable Document Format) files has become an industry standard for maintaining the integrity and the appearance of your work.
Because different computers utilize different font packages, a print ready PDF locks into place the fonts and formatting used when you were creating your book. This eliminates the risk that erroneous substitutions will be made when your files are opened by the printer. Files can also be formatted to specific color profiles.
Supplying a print ready PDF not only eliminates the need to send extra files to a printing company, it also speeds your file through the pre-press process. By supplying a print ready PDF you create a simple workflow between your book and the printer, enabling a hassle free transition from design to print to delivery.
A print ready PDF must meet the following criteria to ensure your book prints without problems:
- Text is provided as a multiple-page PDF. File must consist of even number of single pages (not spreads) running from the first page to the last page, including blank pages if needed.
- Fonts must be embedded or converted to outlines.
- File are supplied as four-color process CMYK, not an RGB color model. If you are unfamiliar with this terminology, don’t worry. We can convert it for you, though some variation in the color may occur.
- Image resolution of color or grayscale photographs is 300 dpi and 600 dpi for line work at 100% of the final image.
- Artwork is at least .25″ (1/4 inch) from the edge of the page. This is regarded as a safe or “quiet” area. (See Templates & Guides for more details)
- Black text should be 100% black and not a CMYK “rich black” mix.
- White text is not set to overprint.
- Page numbering: odd numbers are on the front of a sheet and even numbers are on the back of a sheet.
- On odd numbered (front) pages, the placement of the number should be on the right side of the sheet.
- On even numbered (back) pages, the placement of the number should be on the left side of the sheet.
- Files are supplied with .125″ (1/8 inch) bleed on all sides.
Gasch Printing is simple and straightforward. Are you ready to get started? Get a free price quote here.
We’ll take care of the rest.